Thursday, August 20, 2015

Upper Elementary Intro Lessons


Seems like at the beginning of the year we are always scrambling (maybe not scrambling so much as just looking) for new and exciting ways to introduce ourselves!  I've written 2 other post regarding beginning of the year lessons and I thought I'd do one more for upper elementary!! It’s a really cute idea and fun game that can be used on the Smart Board!!!(Its internet based)!









I use it with upper elementary grades 3-5!!  I mentioned in an earlier blog that for my 3-5 grade students I created a PowerPoint that I take into my lessons!!! I will add that PPT to my TeachersPayTeachers page and you can use it if you want feel free to modify it to fit your needs!  Included in the PowerPoint is information about my School Counseling Program! Following the PowerPoint the students would complete a brief survey so I could assess their needs and formulate my plan for small groups then we would play "People Bingo"!  Well to "spruce" up the lessonI decided to play a quick game called "Who is Your School Counselor"! I created this game on Kahoot.It!  If you've never heard of Kahoot.It, you don't know what you are missing!  The students really have a good time with it and it’s a great resource to share with your teachers to use as a review tool!!






I created a series of questions about School Counselors for the students to answer!  They will be divided into groups and each group will get a Chrome book. (Ipads work best but my school has chrome booksthey can also use regular computers)  The groups will log in on the site and enter a Kahoot.It Pin to login to my gamethey can pick a team name and enter to play.  The questions will come up randomly, but the trick is, they have to pay attention to both the Smart Board and the Chrome Book because the answers are listed as shapesyou have to check it out to get my drift!  The team who not only answers the questions correctly, but quickly gets the most points!! After the first few questions, they get the hang of it and have a ball with it!  If time permits, I throw People Bingo in there but Kahoot.It generally takes up the most time!  


Simply go to getkahoot.it and sign up for your FREE account!  They do not e-mail you ridiculous e-mails about products and upgradesit is simply for your login information!  Once you set up your account, click on the tab across the top labeled "Public Kahoots" in the search box, type in my name (shandra.hall) and my Kahoots will come up!! You can play it or duplicate it! Duplicating allows you to add, delete, or modify the questions to fit your needs then add it on your board!!  In order for your students to play, they have to type in kahoot.it in the URL box while you as the facilitator have to log in at create.kahoot.it!  


I hope this helps!!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment