Friday, August 7, 2015

Change

Ahhh...Change.  The thing that everybody loves to hate...or maybe not! Although it's inevitable, its sometimes frustrating, nerve wrecking and downright annoying. We know that Change is constant and that without it, there is no growth.  We know that Change is difficult, but not Changing is fatal...and we know that we ourselves must be the Change agent in our lives! But we don't have to like it! Unexpected Change is scary, uncomfortable, unknown, confusing, bewildering, and disorienting! In spite of those things...Change is still Good.

I mentioned in an earlier blog that I am entering my 9th year in School Counseling!  What I didn't say was the last 8 years I was at one elementary school...McDonald Green Elementary in Lancaster, SC.  I felt like I'd hit the jackpot and I didn't even know it when I'd been hired! Fresh out of college I landed my first job before I even graduated...not to mention, MGE was one of the top 3 schools in the district...I was definitely #Winning!  But, I've always been ambitious! Never satisfied with just enough...always seeking to advance myself professionally as much as I could before the big life events happened to slow me down! My plan was to stay at this school only maybe 2-3 years tops...get a little real time elementary experience under my belt (who knew your internship couldn't have fully prepared you for the real deal) then I was moving on to the next level! I acquired my licensure within my first 3 years working (which provided me with ability to practice privately)  I just knew I was going to do great things...I wasn't going to be in the school forever, especially not elementary!


 Ummmm...NO!! LOL!!

Well...by the end of my 3rd year, I said myself,  "Self, we can go longer...I mean we are just really getting into our groove at this place...I mean 3 years was a premature thought...I would stay until the Kindergarten class I came in with left". So I keep moving along...growing professionally and personally! By the of my 5th year, the new programs I'd started were well on their way and I had an excellent relationship with my administration team...I mean we worked like a well oiled machine!  My principal was one of the most supportive Principals I'd ever come across!  She supported all of my ideas, my professional development, new programs and projects I wanted to try...and even better...she got down in they trenches with me...If there was a community service project, she was there til the end no matter how big or small! My Principal and AP were awesome!!!  I then thought to myself, "Why would I ever leave this". I've heard the horror stories that my fellow counselors had shared, and I was not about that life.  I had definitely hit the jackpot with my school...at least that's what it felt like!


But God has a funny way of doing things.  He has a way of turning your life upside to get you to where He has destined you to be...not where you think you should be!  A few months before the end of my 8th year, I had a fleeting thought...I wondered what it would take for me to leave my school. I knew I was there a few years longer than I'd anticipated, but as quickly as I had that thought, another one followed. I had it too good where I was...why would I leave?!? I was comfortable! When truth be told...I was growing professionally (I'm passionate about professional development), I've presented at conferences, I've traveled outside of the state, across the country even to learn more about how to help our youth!  But I was working with the same community...the same faculty...the same mindset...the same challenges, which meant, no challenge at all. Even with all that "Same-ness" I wasn't going to leave!




I ended the year and started planning for the next one...But remember how I said God has a way of working stuff out in your life that you can't even fathom...That thought I had few months ago about what it would take for me to leave didn't just pop up out of no where...regardless of the fact that I hadn't thought about truly leaving since my first few years...God has a way of speaking to you when you least expect it!  At the end of June, it was announced that my administration team was being transferred to another school.  I was shocked to say the least...after receiving the news I had the most restless weekend...I couldn't sleep, my was stomach was in knots...I didn't know how to take the news.  I didn't want to work for another principal...who was going to replace my current prinicpal and my assistant principal?  What was my year going to look like without them leading our school? My initial thought was to get out now while I could...transfer...leave the district...something, anything.   I mean the picture below says it all!!!!



At this time there had been a School Counseling position open at another school in district...the other end of town, closer to my house...20 minutes (did i forget to mention that I commuted to work everyday for the past 8 years...~40 minutes), larger school, different population, different needs etc.  Not to mention the school is in a great area and the parental support is unbelievable.  The position had been posted for over a month...surely someone had been hired and it wasn't still open. That was on a Tuesday night...I spoke with my now old Principal about it that Wednesday morning...she suggested I go for it...by that Thursday afternoon, I had an interview scheduled...the position was still open! I got the job.  In less than 2 weeks when this all transpired I was hired some place else and I was leaving my comfort zone.  Although I sought out the interview,  I was freaking out...What about my students, the ones I worked closely with?  The programs and groups I was over?  The culture of the school? Who the new administration team was gonna be?  Will they understand the vision of MGE?  It was torturous!!!  



But  in church the Sunday before my interview, the minister said "Sometimes, you have to move away from the familiar and get  in front of what God has for you"...I felt a sense of calm wash over me and I found myself laughing.  People probably thought i was crazy, but as the saying goes, "They didn't know my story".  During the interview, I told the Principal that I was a little shocked that the position was still open and he laughed a little and told me he just couldn't select anybody for the position...it didn't feel right.  He told me he prayed about it and something told him to wait and he did...that statement almost blew me away.  It had to be God working.  I couldn't do anything but laugh at how God moves behind the scenes and you don't even know! 3 months before any of us knew of the changes that were going to take place over the summer, God had a plan for me!! It also reminded me of what I tell my students: Change happens all the time...adapt quickly so you can move on...I took my own advise and re-read through Who Moved My Cheese for Kids by Spencer Johnson.


I could only chuckle to myself as read this book that I've shared with students numerous times when they are new or moving or if they are approaching another big change.  All the fear and apprehension I felt was normal, but I couldn't allow it hold me back and allow me to be complacent. I hated to leave my students more than anything but growth is necessary and I couldn't let the fear of the unknown stop me.



I made the choice move on and I'm actually excited.  And I've realized there is truth to what Spencer Johnson said, "Adapt to Change quickly, the quicker you get rid of your Old cheese you can Enjoy your NEW cheese".  I can't wait to open and Enjoy my NEW Cheese!!! Never allow yourself to get complacent in what you do...always look for opportunities to grow and be a better you!


 (See how I did that...even in my long drawn out story, there is a lesson to share with your students)!


No comments:

Post a Comment